Madisonville Checkers Club

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.
JR Smith

Madisonville Checkers Club

Post by JR Smith »

Madisonville Checkers Club continues to grow... Southeast Tennessee Checkers

Last edited by JR Smith on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:04 am, edited 10 times in total.
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
dustinbelcher
What do you like about checkers?: Always enjoyed the game and the challenge it brings. Just you and your opponent battling your minds. Also, it's just a friendly game that people can just sit and have fun playing while communicating with each other.

Re: Madisonville Checkers Club

Post by dustinbelcher »

Thanks so much for this JR. I really am lucky to have the opportunity to be apart of the Madisonville checker club. We all enjoy the fellowship we bring everytime we get together to play. I know we have talked about this before, but we need to get that TN club vs. NC club match together. I think we would all enjoy that.
dustinbelcher
What do you like about checkers?: Always enjoyed the game and the challenge it brings. Just you and your opponent battling your minds. Also, it's just a friendly game that people can just sit and have fun playing while communicating with each other.

Post by dustinbelcher »

And also, I don't know if it's just me but on your post that has the page of our club...half of the page is cut off or something?
Danny_Alvarez
What do you like about checkers?: I enjoy learning more and more as i go. despite its alleged simplicity the game is incredibly complex and rewarding.

Post by Danny_Alvarez »

dustinbelcher wrote:And also, I don't know if it's just me but on your post that has the page of our club...half of the page is cut off or something?
it is cut off for me as well i don't see the far right of the page
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
dustinbelcher

Post by dustinbelcher »

Yes, that's an older page. JR has updated his site of the Madisonville Checker Club. http://www.nccheckers.org and then under calendar you will see the updated page for our club.
Alex_Moiseyev
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Hey guys, just comeup with interesting idea ... maybe we can play other day one opening "over the phone" ... Alex vs Madisonville Club members. You can call me and we'll play. Club members can consult with each other of course.

And on my end with all my honesty I can assure you that I will not use any extra sources like programs, books or other person advice.

Without much thinking (hmm ...) it could take 15-45 minutes for couple games (same ballott). I think if we can make it - it will be fun for all of us.

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
JR Smith

Post by JR Smith »

Thanks, John, Dustin, and Alex... I wanted to edit post with a different (modified) jpg but I did it on my end on host server and then I couldn't get access back through ACF Forum to edit my post. So I'm doing another page.

I mentioned Alex playing us a few internet games and the members were ecstatic, delighted with the idea! Thursday is coming up, so I will call you Alex and make arrangements. Here is new links to both clubs. We can choose our different dates and time.

Madisonville: http://www.nccheckers.org/Madisonville% ... Club-2.jpg

Burlington: http://www.nccheckers.org/NCCA/2011%20B ... Photos.htm

I will also publicize this and get some promotional coverage and newspaper attention that World Champion, Grand-Master Alex Moiseyev is playing our Checker Club members real time over internet at our Thursday club meeting!
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Hi, JR !

Actually I thought aout "phone", but Internet is fine too ... whatever make it interesting, attractive and promotional. Playing via Internet (Kurnik ?) has it positives and negatives - NOISE. If we can avoid it - it would be great !

One of the way could be - post moves here, in forum, but even in this case someone can post comments too. Another way - Private Messages in forum - they are closed for everyone except correspondents.

Alot of options though ...

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

JohnAcker wrote:If you guys do get a game set up (maybe by Skype?), bring a webcam-- I can give you access to the ACF's Ustream page.
I have webcam at home but never done anything serious with it rather then Skype
dustinbelcher

Post by dustinbelcher »

Wow, you guys read my mind. Today while working I was thinking the same idea. Our club is supposed to play this coming Saturday so I will relay the message to them and see what they think about it. I think only a few of us have access to computer. Great idea, I will give back any feedback as soon as I hear something from them.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

dustinbelcher wrote:I think only a few of us have access to computer.
Remember: my original idea was - to use phone :lol: I don't want to complicate anything. If we can make it over Internet - fine, if we can do it easy over the phone - why not ?

To Joe Moore: you see what I told you in other topic ... only few have comp.

Regards,

Alex
JR Smith

Post by JR Smith »

Hello Alex, we will be at McDonalds around 3pm tomorrow, February 9, 2012 and play by phone on my cell 336-209-5656. I will try to experiment later with skype, cam recorder using John Acker's link, or Gmail free phone / video chat and see what we will eventually do but for now lets just use my Verizon cell phone. Please email me back on way and time to contact. Group starts gathering there around 3pm and play until, we are flexable on time. Thank you so much for your time and interest to share and create excitement and enthusiasm for checkers.

BTW called newspaper and they will do a Sunday article about this and out club playing at McDonalds in two weeks.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Hi, JR !
JR Smith wrote:3pm tomorrow, February 9, 2012 ...

BTW called newspaper and they will do a Sunday article about this and out club playing at McDonalds in two weeks.
Hmmm ... actually this is still my work hours time frame (9-5).

Saturday or evening hours is much better and easy for me.

In order to meet newspaper advertisment commitment, as emergency we can make it tomorrow at 5 PM, after work hours. I will take my small magnetic board with me.

I will email you late tonight.

Alex
JR Smith

Post by JR Smith »

Ok Alex, I have you on speed dial for A Moiseyev Office # Yesterday was hectic, picking up trophies, mugs, etc for upcoming tournament and a player call me about his board and checkers. Bill Stanley, Teal Stanley, JR Smith, Bill McClintock, James Atkins, Mike Ross, Glen Fuquay, Grover Minor, and Tim Laverty showed. Everyone is exciting about playing you! We matched up and switched opponents through out the evening playing 11-Man and some GAYP. Most players wanted to get in 11-Man practice, especially the better players. I didn't get your email about setting up games by phone until after the club meeting.

I definitely anticipate the club playing you this coming Thursday, February 16. We will start with Teal and watch as game progress. Since you will be working we will keep the schedule as you suggested, an acknowledgement call 9:30AM Thursday morning and set up a specific game call time Thursday evening like 5:30PM or later. I will also let you know if the newspaper people will be there. They are talking about a two visit interview session to get their story and pictures. Most likely we will want to play 11-Man since our 11-Man Tournament starts the next day, but that too is your choice. You using your small magnetic board and we using a laptop making and recording your moves by phone so the game is recorded and saved error free.

The 1st news session according to Jerry Rowe, editor is to get a feel for the club, meet the members, and get a layout of what and how he wants to do it. He plans to bring in the video and photo people the following Thursday.

I expect news attention and some membership interest after the big Sunday edition runs. We definitely want to keep this going as a regular scheduled part of our checker meeting activity. We will learn what work best as we go. I will advertise in Greensboro New-Record, SCENE, Go Triad's place for events, arts & what's going on. SCENE calendar, and "gotriad" Entertainment, Arts, Music, and More. I have already submitted our club weekly meeting in the GoTraid SCENE calendar.

This "Playing Checkers with the World Champion" is definitely catchy. It has created interest and enthusiasm. I described our activities as, "Monthly we select a members or guest to play checkers with the World Champion Grand-Master, Alex Moiseyev remotely over the phone."

I agree this monthly or semi-monthly club event announced in newspaper as a free entertainment / recreation event should help raise our checker club awareness and increase membership.

Thanks again, JR
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

JR, thanksor update !

1) 5:00-5:30 PM Thursday February 16 is OK.
2) I hope to finish everything by 7:00-7:30 PM.
3) Playing 11 man ballot instead 3-moves is OK.
4) You call me to office is OK.
5) Club members consultation is OK.
6) Media and other kibitzors is OK.
7) Interview over the phone is OK.
8 ) Orchestra music is OK.
9) Numbered board on your side is OK becaue I don't see it :lol:
10) Anything else is OK !!!

If Tim Laverty prefers one move but majority of Club members prefers another move - so be it ! I am not playing with Tim, world title contender 2 times, I am playing with Club members team :lol:

I am pretty sure that we all should have alot of fun & enjoyment along with Club and checkers promotional things.

JR,

don't forget to make pictures. Eventually we may try to involve Skype and/or other technologies but for the time now, first time, this is abbsolutely acceptable.

Greetings to all Madisonville club members and all others

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev