VA Checkers Website

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.
Travis Weddle
Site Admin
What do you like about checkers?: I love that the concept of checkers is so simple, yet the games have a complex beauty that comes alive during play.

VA Checkers Website

Post by Travis Weddle »

For those of you who don't know I've been working on a few projects lately for the world of Checkers. One of those projects is the home of the Old Dominion Checkers Association: http://www.vacheckers.org My goal for this site is to be informational to the beginner (and hopefully the advance player) in an easy to read, well-explained format. Think of it as a book-on-the-web. I also plan on providing tournament updates and any other news relating to checkers.

At the moment there is not a lot of content, but we are adding content on a weekly basis. Please feel free to provide any suggestions/feedback here or via e-mail: Travis at vacheckers.org

A big thanks to Ryan for helping write articles for the site!
tgf
What do you like about checkers?: I like sharing my checkers knowledge

Re: VA Checkers Website

Post by tgf »

I like the site, clean graphics, easy on your eyes. The animation is great except there is no take back to look at the position a few moves prior.
It is a good start, keep adding!

Jake
Travis Weddle
Site Admin
What do you like about checkers?: I love that the concept of checkers is so simple, yet the games have a complex beauty that comes alive during play.

Post by Travis Weddle »

tgf wrote:I like the site, clean graphics, easy on your eyes. The animation is great except there is no take back to look at the position a few moves prior.
It is a good start, keep adding!

Jake
Thanks Jake. A back button along with a move list are on my to-do list for the plugin, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
George Hay
What do you like about checkers?: Checkers is a game of pure logic.

Post by George Hay »

There is a very good explanation on Petterson's Rule for getting that man down draw! As a good review, I started (or back tracked) to "the Move" in the Basics. Then I went on to slowly read and go over the animations in Petterson's Rule by Travis. Bill Salot's "comment" showed that there are 4 methods to determine how to save the draw. Each of them may be checked by the first animation. Using a "dummy piece" works for me. The best method is the one that works for you!

--George Hay
Travis Weddle
Site Admin

Post by Travis Weddle »

Good to hear that you enjoyed it, George! I plan on adding Bill's comments into the post itself for future readers.

A recent update to my site software caused some issues with the animations, but that has been corrected as of today.
George Hay
What do you like about checkers?: Checkers is a game of pure logic.

Post by George Hay »

Travis, I like how the animations are organized, and of course checkers is not only about how to draw! The Basic Endings 2 vs 1 and 3 vs 2 show the important moves needed to win in the end game! :)

--George Hay
Lindus Edwards

Post by Lindus Edwards »

Well done Travis on creating such an excellent site. It is perfect for low rated players such as myself and indeed for expert and master class. Such a neat and easy site to navigate – something I like very much. Great work.
kiwinurse

Post by kiwinurse »

Travis you are certainly contributing to checkers in a wonderful way,we need 10 of you,to get checkers going again,and impart some enthusiasm for it even in the youth,which are our future,in fact we should be putting all our money and investments in checker sites,because that's where they are,forget about our old foggies And I include myself in that description,,who in the past,give them their due,have contributed immensely by their master play ,books etc.,But now it's crises time,and if we don't motivate our youth to play in every country,we will die.What's more important, continually giving masters payouts to play, is not helping or reviving our game,We need youth, and the incentive to get them to come to matches.i see the looks on the boys faces every week that I go in,to boys highschool
They're just wanting the challenge ,more than the money,altho I must say,a little bit of money excites them too.
But ,are there masters out there that want to play ,not for money,and what they can get out of it,but to genuinely revive the game?.i know travelling and playing is expensive,and sometimes costs have to be accounted for,but when yu get into your 40s- 60s say,you are not so hard up,as if you had been 20 -40.and the love of checkers and reviving checkers should be on their minds,not how big a payout or a prize it is.i should know,I I have travelled from opposite ends of the world to play,and it was never about the money with me,but meeting the fabulous people there,and having a great time,in fact it's been the highlight of my life this checkers and the many wonderful people I've met along this journey.
But now it's a crises stage for checkers,and I for one do want to revive it, How many of you others ,the older ones that have been playing for a while do? And why aren't you helping the youth,by playing and teaching and giving them aids to learn?
Travis I just want to encourage you to carry on doing what you are doing,you. Are doing simply great for the acf,and for me.I see the future is on the internet with publicising checkers and using every available means,to get websites going,and advertising matches,and getting the press involved.