Checker Books on Amazon

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.
J_D_C_

Checker Books on Amazon

Post by J_D_C_ »

Everyone may know about this already, but I was surfing through Amazon earlier this week and found a couple checker book reprints available. The books i found are: The Game of Draughts. Problems, Critical Positions, and Games by Joseph Gould and Checker Kings In Action by Tom Wiswell and Millard Hopper. Those are the only two that I have found. Is anyone aware that they are making these re-prints and are there any others that you know of?

Both books are reprints available in hardcover and paperback. In the description the following message is given:

This work has been selected by scholars as being culturally important, and is part of the knowledge base of civilization as we know it. This work was reproduced from the original artifact, and remains as true to the original work as possible. Therefore, you will see the original copyright references, library stamps (as most of these works have been housed in our most important libraries around the world), and other notations in the work.

This work is in the public domain in the United States of America, and possibly other nations. Within the United States, you may freely copy and distribute this work, as no entity (individual or corporate) has a copyright on the body of the work.

As a reproduction of a historical artifact, this work may contain missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. Scholars believe, and we concur, that this work is important enough to be preserved, reproduced, and made generally available to the public. We appreciate your support of the preservation process, and thank you for being an important part of keeping this knowledge alive and relevant.
Jonathon Chappell
Chexbibliophile
What do you like about checkers?: Books and history of checkers

Re: Checker Books on Amazon

Post by Chexbibliophile »

This is common. Don Goodwin made it a business printing them and selling reprints of things he copied. Also if you search abebooks they have hundreds of reprints available. Stick with an original. It's not much more for one and it has a history to it. Those books you listed are commonplace too, not historically significant.
If you have any old draughts books pre 1900 or looking for a book email me. thecheckercollector@gmail.com
Check out my site for rare books... https://thecheckercollector.square.site/
liam stephens

Post by liam stephens »

Some of these reprints contain rather less than what might be expected.

For example. a copy of Payne's Introduction to the Game of Draughts, I came across, turned out to be a later edition from 1795, and not either of the 1756 (claimed) originals. The Dedication and Preface by Dr.Johnston (appearing in the originals) are omitted and also the title page which indicates whether the A or B version was being referred to.

In a reprint of Call's Literature of Checkers, the sequence numbering of all the entries is omitted and no spacing occurs between the entries, rendering the book almost useless, as it is virtually impossible to determine where one entry ends and the next one begins.

That old adage applies, Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware.
George Hay
What do you like about checkers?: Checkers is a game of pure logic.

Post by George Hay »

The paperback reprint I bought from Amazon of Checker Kings In Action by Tom Wiswell and Millard Hopper is missing the last two pages. Page 159 INDEX OF OPENINGS (1st Three Moves) is missing. Also missing is page 160 The Honor Roll, those listed include N. W. Banks, Dick Fortman, Leo Levitt, and "MR. ANONYMOUS." Also, the diagrams for the games are more or less unreadable, although the diagrams in the problems section are readable with eye strain. Most helpful is the authors have the checker positions printed out by square numbers in addition to the diagrams in the problems section. Fortunately, I was able to do business with ACF Forum Member Eric Strange and purchased an original hardcover of Checker Kings In Action from him. I have also done business with ACF Forum Member John Acker by purchasing Carl Reno's The Work Of The Pentium from him.
I appreciate Mr. Reno referring to the checkers as "BLACK" and "WHITE." :)

--George Hay