Any good checkers out there?

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.
Chexhero
What do you like about checkers?: It is a game of beauty when played at a high level.

Any good checkers out there?

Post by Chexhero »

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could get some regular size marble checker pieces for the 18 by 18 inch board, which is the official size. I am not sure what the diameter is for the official size checker piece, but the ones I bought off this website are about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 in diameter, which are a lot bigger than the ones that most players use in the tournaments. I am assuming the regular size piece is closer to an inch in diameter. Marble would be prefered, but I could go for plastic to. I have checker pieces with old game sets but they are too small for the 18 by 18 inch. So any help would be appreciated, thanks!
George Hay
What do you like about checkers?: Checkers is a game of pure logic.

Re: Any good checkers out there?

Post by George Hay »

Chexhero, the official size for checkers is one and one-quarter inch to one and one-half inch, or the metric equivalent. I like my Drueke wood checkers that works well with the Drueke roll-up chessboard, and even better with the ACF checkerboard. That is IMHO, and I am biased in that a Michigan company owns Drueke.
http://www.carrom.com/ Also, with wood checkers I can be a "wood pusher" literally as well as figuratively (LOL). Incredibly, it has been long difficult to find a decent checkers set! You can see that on Jim Loy's website, the Checker Maven's website, and on this ACF forum! The latest news is that the ACF store will sell checkers some time in the future.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2703&p=21134#p21134
--George Hay
George Hay
What do you like about checkers?: Checkers is a game of pure logic.

Post by George Hay »

This is the current link to the article Obtaining a Regulation Checkers Set by Bob Newell.
http://www.bobnewell.net/checkers/checker-sets.html
This article is rather comprehensive as it covers color, texture, and fill space ratios.
Chexhero
What do you like about checkers?: It is a game of beauty when played at a high level.

Post by Chexhero »

Thanks George. I dont think I am going to go for the wood though, I am a bit too picky haha. My current pieces are about 1 1/2 inch in diameter, maybe not much longer then the standard pieces, but much fatter for sure. If anyone has some extra pieces they would not mind selling, please feel free to send me a message.
jaguar72
What do you like about checkers?: Its minimalist beauty and economy of force.

Post by jaguar72 »

Chexhero wrote:Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could get some regular size marble checker pieces for the 18 by 18 inch board, which is the official size. I am not sure what the diameter is for the official size checker piece, but the ones I bought off this website are about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 in diameter, which are a lot bigger than the ones that most players use in the tournaments. I am assuming the regular size piece is closer to an inch in diameter. Marble would be prefered, but I could go for plastic to. I have checker pieces with old game sets but they are too small for the 18 by 18 inch. So any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Joe, take a look at the thread below...might be helpful. The place I referenced has checkers in various colors and sizes. The quality was very good and they were not expensive:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2522

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/Jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...