Asa Long in The (London) Times!

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.
Richard Pask
What do you like about checkers?: Much!

Asa Long in The (London) Times!

Post by Richard Pask »

Dear all,

I letter from myself detailing Asa Long's remarkable achievements - 1922 & 1984 US Nat Ty winner - features in The (London) Times today.

Checkers lives!
Palomino

Re: Asa Long in The (London) Times!

Post by Palomino »

Is there a link to the article?
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Richard Pask

Post by Richard Pask »

Here is the complete letter:

'Checkered Career'

Sir, By winning the US National Tournament of checkers (draughts) at the age of 18 in 1922, Asa Long strengthened Nigel Farndale's contention that in every field youth holds sway ("If you want something done, ask a 25-year-old", Aug 24). By winning it again in 1984, just shy of his 80th birthday, he called it into question. Inevitably there was some deterioration - in the 1990 event Long came only third.

Richard Pask

[For forum readers: to avoid any remoted possibility of confusion, the final sentence is by way of British humour.]
Palomino

Post by Palomino »

In 2011 I travel to Toledo Memorial Park Cemetery to pay my respect to Mr. Long, cleaned the marker and then took this picture. Certainly one of the greats of the game... Image
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Richard Pask

Post by Richard Pask »

Dear Sir,

What you are doing is extremely worthy. Thank you.

I played Mr Long in 1983, 1984 and 1989 (0-1-5 draws) and it was an enormous privilege every time.

I have all 20 of the games played by Mr Long in the 1984 British (all signed by him) - he won and I came 2nd - and will endeavour to make them available shortly. Asa scored 9 wins and 11 draws, and may have missed 3 wins to boot. (v myself, Harry Koff and Charles Walker). So 1984 was a good year for him!

Richard Pask