Pennsylvania State Checker Association

Advertise or locate a local checker club in your area.
Debra Louise McManus
What do you like about checkers?: Everything

Pennsylvania State Checker Association

Post by Debra Louise McManus »

G’day
I am looking for someone who knows about the Pennsylvania State Checker Association and the Keystone Checker Review.
Thanks.
Edgar C. Atkinson
What do you like about checkers?: 1. Composing and solving problems.
2. Playing checkers against people or computers.
3. Researching checker history.
4.Collecting equipment.
5. Reading the ACF Bulletin

Re: Pennsylvania State Checker Association

Post by Edgar C. Atkinson »

In the 1950s and 1960s I was a member of the Pennsylvania Stae Checker Association and participated in some of its tournaments. In the late 1960s I edited 1 issue of the Keystone Checker Review.

I will be glad to provide more information, if contacted at edgaratkinson@yahoo.com
Debra Louise McManus
What do you like about checkers?: Everything

Post by Debra Louise McManus »

Thanks. I will be in contact. I have been told Pennsylvania State Checker Association no longer exists since I posted this and I was wanting to share some of the great articles in it on Facebook. I am the administrator for the EDA (English Draughts Association) Facebook group and someone has sent me some of these magazines from England.
So if this organisation no longer exists. Shouldn’t be a problem. Just sharing our checker history which is always a worthwhile thing to do.
Great magazine.
Edgar C. Atkinson
What do you like about checkers?: 1. Composing and solving problems.
2. Playing checkers against people or computers.
3. Researching checker history.
4.Collecting equipment.
5. Reading the ACF Bulletin

Post by Edgar C. Atkinson »

Here is a bit of history. The Pennsylvania State Checker Asdociation was organized in 1952. In that year a tournament and business meeting were held at the Broadwood Hotle in Philadelphia. At the business meeting officers were elected and, then, atournament for the state championship was held. Co-winners were Herman Rudolph and Wayne Van Leer. Daniel Frank and Oliver Mauro participated but withdrew for business reasons. In 1953 Van Leer won the championship, defeating Markusic in the finals. The next tournament was held in Bethlehem in 1955 with Van Leer and Arch Henshall as co-champions. The asdociation was instrumental in bringing the 21st American Championship to Bethlehem in 1958. Walter Hellman won, defeating Newell Banks, age 70, in the finals. Also participating were Harold Freyer, Prof. Wm. Fraser, the Canadian match champion, Alex Cameron and several other top players. In 1962 the Pennsylvania Association brought the United States 11 man ballot tournament to Philadelphia. The winner was Harold Freyer on tie break over Wayne Van Leer. Elbert Lowder was third and Irwin Altman was fourth. This led to the Banks-Van Leer 11 man ballot championship match, won by Banks.In 1968 a very strong national 11 man ballot tounament was held in Philadelphia. The winner was Everett Fuller, Kenneth Grover second, Elbert Lowder third and Asa Long fourth. This led to the Grover-Banks 11 man title match, won by Grover. In 1974 the American Championship tournament returned to Pennsylvania, this time in Philadelphia. Marion Tinsley was the winner, with Derek Oldbury in second place in a very strong field. All in all the Pennsylvania State Checker Association was quite influential in American Checkers.
KCRJim
What do you like about checkers?: The game never gets old for me.

Post by KCRJim »

I edited and published the Keystone Checker Review 1989-1995. I have remaining copies of the issues 1990-1995 and will gladly send you any you would like just for postage. I started with a small mailing list sent to me by Fernie Moffett, and built the circulation to about 700 in 1995. I gave it up mainly because a change in my job then required more of my time.
Bill Salot

Post by Bill Salot »

KCR Jim,
In 1992 and 1993, you edited and published in KCR Bob Crue's collection of problems by George H Slocum.
Do you know if Mr. Crue is still with us?
Bill Salot