German open

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.
champion374
What do you like about checkers?: game of thinging

German open

Post by champion374 »

results German open 2015

1st: Igor Martynov 25 pts., 2nd Ingo Zachos 23 pts, 3rd Zioltkowski, 18 pts, then 4th Juri Geisenbals, 5th Thomas Juergens, 6th Clemens Crucius, 7th Thimas Wien, 8th Mathias Hahn, etc.
Kent ,,Ace,, Layne checker player from Barbados
Ingo_Zachos

Re: German open

Post by Ingo_Zachos »

Thank you very much Kent,

the tournament was closer then the score indicates. Igor and me both had to concede a draw to our opponents Clemens Crucius and Thoomas Wien from a winng endgame that they saved by clever tactics in round one, and so we already had our showdown in round two. After a draw I blundered in a complex 9-13 cross line. After that both Igor and I did well and both defeated the local organizer and president of the German Draughts Federation IGDD, Jan Zioltkowski (Kortbach), that started with an amazing 8-0 from the first two rounds. But both Igor and me were somewhat lucky. I survived a man-down ending against Jan Zioltkowski that maybe was lost for me into a draw, and Igor even won in another probably lost man-down endgame position against Juri Geisenblas in the last but one round by a swindle.

Thomas Wien lost many games due to a lack of practice. In one game he blew to kings "a la Borghetti" in a three kings against two kings ending, "converting" an easy win into an easy loss when he just was on his way to clinch third place...

Thomas Juergens suffered from a lack of endgame technique and the fact that he had a very tough draw, while Juri Geisenbas, Jan Ziolkowski and Clemens Crucius still suffer from a lack of pp-knowledge. They all three showed great combinative skills.

Mathias Hahn was unlucky in only his second tournament to be paired against Igor in the last round and what could have been another fourth place turned out to be an unlucky 8th place instead.

Armin Krame (Korbach) became German Youth Champion, and was also unlucky to be paired with me in the last round, suffering two defeats, tough he started a great swindle in the 2nd game to almost draw a game from a very bad opening. He could have been placed better then 9th as well with a little bit of luck.

Next year we will try to hold the German Open earlier, in order to make them a part of the European cup series and to avoid a clash with the Irish Open.

Greetinx from Dortmund,

Ingo Zachos

Results and pictures will be published on the IGDD website later this week

Greetinx from sunny, but cold Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Post by Ingo_Zachos »

Final standings:

http://www.dame100-korbach.de/cms/uploa ... ngs&7.html

Greetinx from sunny Europe,

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
tommyc

Post by tommyc »

IRISH OPEN STRABANE 2015

Masters.........

Sergio Scarpetta ;Italy; 1] 26p ...Open winner and Euro Cup winner
SHANE MC COSKER 2] 22P Irish Homebased Champion
BILL DOBBINS 3] 18P
MYLES HANNIGAN 4] 17P
FRANK MORAN 5] 17P

MAJOR
BILLY KELLY 1] 22P
CON BOYLE 2] 22P
GRAHAM YOUNG 3] 21P
JOE MAGUIRE 4] 17P

INTER
JULIAN MC GUINNESS 1]26P
LIAM DOYLE 2]19P
JOE COLLINS 3] 18P
JOHN KELLY JT 4TH]17P
PADDY BYRNE JT 4TH]17P

The Irish Open was played in great spirit this year not a bad word said no disputes of worth...........some great contests even late in the evening with the brilliant Sergio showing his level of play,a top top player...........a really nice guy to boot and a gentleman.Frank Moran did have him possibly in a computer loss but it ended in a draw.....i have to say Frank played his best draughts this time around.....We were delighted also with the company of Paul Bryan USA......who gave a good account of himself.Irish home based Champion Shane Mc Cosker was never bowed in this contest retaining his crown.Billy Kelly at last wins his Open Senior title from good friend Con Boyle and Julian Mc Guinness had some to spare in the Inter Section.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
George Hay
What do you like about checkers?: Checkers is a game of pure logic.

Post by George Hay »

Congratulations to German Open winner Igor Martynov, 2nd place finisher Ingo Zachos, and 3rd place finisher Jan Zioltkowski!

While in chess you can "stalemate" in pursuit of a an endgame win, in checkers you can actually lose in pursuit of an endgame win!

The German Open will make a worthy addition to the Euro Cup next year!

--George Hay