alternative format for game scoresheets

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.
mclark
What do you like about checkers?: Skullcracker

alternative format for game scoresheets

Post by mclark »

Hi all, I've had mixed feelings over the years about the sheets that we use to record games at tournaments. I decided last spring that I would like to design my own for my personal use, and I finally got around to doing it yesterday. I like the way it turned out and wanted to share it in case others see a benefit in using it. I'll probably copy a stack of 30 or 40 at a time and take a few with me when I go to a tournament. I haven't decided yet if I want to copy on front and back to be able to fit four games on one piece of paper.

My main goals were to be able to record moves for each player in separate columns and to be able to fit both games of a round on one piece of paper. One disadvantage of the traditional format is that all moves are in the same columns. There are indentations to help players stay on track, but a big problem is omitting one jump, especially when using "X notation" as shorthand, and getting off by one move. If a player omits a move when recording games on my scoresheet, the problem will be noticed immediately and can be corrected. Also, using the scoresheets with the traditional format, I found that I come home with a lot of paper and don't have my games organized. If you use these to record games for a weekend tournaments with eight rounds, you can come home with 16 sheets of paper and all the attached yellow duplicate copies. If I make copies on front and back with my design, I come home with four pieces of paper that fit nicely into a folder or notebook.

I also wanted to create a generic scoresheet that I could use for any year and any type of game (3-move, 11-man, GAYP). We have moved in the direction of most tournaments having two-game rounds with scoring based on the game, so I think that having space for two games on one side of a piece of paper will work better than the old format in most cases.

In the past I have usually recorded my games on a blank sheet of paper. When I do that I'm sloppy and draw continuation arrows all over the page. I know in a few cases I've distracted myself from the game by recording moves without any structure. So my hope is that this format will work better for me. Feel free to print and copy for your own use if you like it.

Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mac Banks
What do you like about checkers?: The end game beauty.

Re: alternative format for game scoresheets

Post by Mac Banks »

Personally, I like it. When I used to type the games from the score sheets when I was secretary of the ACF, I always
experienced problems with the forms . A lot of mistakes were made. Keeping the two games together would help
when I was recording the games. Thanks for improving the process.
John Acker
What do you like about checkers?: The mental exercise.

Post by John Acker »

Yes, we definitely need some better scoresheets and better policies/procedures for recording and collecting games. Outside of beginner players, there's really no excuse to permit missing or sloppy scoresheets at the tournament level.
John Acker

Post by John Acker »

Bob Newell also has an alternative scoresheet here: http://www.bobnewell.net/nucleus/bnewell.php?itemid=212.
Alex_Moiseyev
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

John, you need a signature session.

am
I am playing checkers, not chess.
John Acker

Post by John Acker »

Alex_Moiseyev wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:01 am John, you need a signature session.

am
"When you find a good ACF officer, look for a better one."
clintolsen
Site Admin
What do you like about checkers?: Winning

Post by clintolsen »

This is what we used for the canadian match last year. If anyone wants the original, i have it in excel format.
gamesheet.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
McP82
What do you like about checkers?: Mostly the good memories with my grandparents! Now that I've got children of my own who are old enough to learn about the game, I'd like to know a bit more about it and be able to teach it in a better way.

Post by McP82 »

Looking good to me as well, I'll give it a try and then will give some feedback!
tgf
What do you like about checkers?: I like sharing my checkers knowledge

Post by tgf »

Hi Matthew, wonder what that Round Score means, give a sample
mclark
What do you like about checkers?: Skullcracker

Post by mclark »

I left that open, without specific places to put names and scores, because I figured people might write it in different ways. If this format were being used at a tournament, it would be helpful to the referee to see "Smith 3 Jones 1" to know how to record the score without having to look down at the game results. But some people might write "2-2" in the case of two draws or a win each. My idea was that filling this out after the match should prompt the player to look back and make sure that the name order and results are recorded correctly for the two games.