3-moves WCM 2013.

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.
Alex_Moiseyev
What do you like about checkers?: .....

3-moves WCM 2013.

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Today I've got a phone call from WCDF President Dr. Richard Beckwith who preliminary (not all WCDF members voted yet, but majority) informed me that more likely Italian bid will be accepted and awarded.

This year in difference with other years, we really and truly had two nice bids: Italian and American, each worthy in total more than $10,000 and around $6,500-$7,000 cash prize.

Both bids were submitted to WCDF by the end of January, prior deadline February 1 and it took WCDF approximately 3 weeks to make decision.

Italian bid is not 100% finalized yet and we still have to learn in what city it happened, in what hotel we live, in what building we play. However I accepted provisional Italian bid (we can't wait anymore) and asked Richard to work with FID to finalize everything.

Match Referee will be Charles Walker, USA and I think someone from Italian Federation will assist him. Only 50% of Charles Walker transportation expenses will be covered and he agreed to pay rest for his tickets.

I also asked Richard to open on ACF website "JOHN ACKER TRAVEL FUND" for donations to pay for his tickets. Italian bid doesn't cover any penny.

Match dates are around June 25 thru July 8 or something like this - capturing July 4 Holiday. Per Michelle Borghetti demand I agreed to make 2 break days during match. This will change match format since 1934 - only 1 break day was allowed in the past 78 years. I don't have any problems with this - Michelle health conditions are far from perfect and he is getting older. Quality of match games are crucial and important.

All for now. I think WCDF official announcement is coming soon.

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev
3-moves World Champion
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Re: 3-moves WCM 2013.

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

JohnAcker wrote:Thanks, Alex. It's a good sign that we had actual bid competition this year!

I did some preliminary searches for airfare, assuming that we play near Michele's hometown (which may not be the case). Even buying the tickets four months in advance, airfare starts at $1650. So yes, I will definitely need some financial help to make the trip!

John
Thanks, John ! I read carefully Italian bid and if I didn't miss anything - they pay in full your accomodation and food and only airfare expenses are not covered. It makes perfect sense to give a shot and try to collect money.

Yes, Michelle Borghetti hometown is Livorno in the north side of Italy, close to Piza and Florence but I agree - it maynot be a case. I also requested an air conditioning in hotel and playing rooms.

All after all - 2 bids are better than 1 and much better than 0.5 ! :D

Alex
Michael Holmes

Post by Michael Holmes »

Those cheaper options should be posted on some thread for future references John.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Michael Holmes wrote:Those cheaper options should be posted on some thread for future references John.
I suspect $1,600+ comes from Internet companies and cheaper options come directly from travel agent or air company.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Sorry John, I'm just learning more about this wonderful bid - they can't pay for your romm as well. This is how they do business. So - this expanse also must be added to your list.

Alex
Michael Holmes

Post by Michael Holmes »

John, sounds as if there is not enough monetary support for you to go. Were you going to be providing some type of service? If so, then they should reconsider. If not then if you go without their support dont provide any service. From a businessman's point of view, those are the best options.
Michael
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

:D
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Along with regular obligations related to match, John also is my companion

DAMA HOTEL in Fossana

http://www.hotelscombined.com/Hotel/Dam ... ossano.htm

If I understand it correctly - all final details regarding location, hotel and playing facility will come prior March 15 but DAMA HOTEL in Fossana more likely is a place where we should stay.
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Image ... Image
Michael Holmes

Post by Michael Holmes »

Any updates John?
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Additional news regarding details should come from Italy around March 15. Carlo from FID promised to finalize bid. I think we should stay in DAMA hotel but this is my guess only. They also have some local checkers club in Fossano where we may play ... stil TBD subject.

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

To the best of my knowledges, WCDF Board members approved John replacement with NO votes against him. I wish Doloris, Charles Walker wife, best and really hope to see her doing well when I come to ICHF over Memorial Day.

I am welcoming John joining match team. Being asked about John candidacy, Michele Borghetti wrote:

Hello all,

For me John Acker is "OK" as referee of the WCM 2013. In 2011 i appreciate very much the professionalism of John and Alan Millhone.

Best regards.

Michele Borghetti

JOHN ACKER TRAVEL FUND still remains open and active, because Italian bid covers only 50% of Referee transportation expenses.

More later ... we should learn soon about bid details - where we should play and stay, online coverage etc.

Respectfully,

AM
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Match will be played in Livorno - Michelle hometown. Playing facility will have direct access to attached terrace (outside) where I can smoke.

More later ...

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

No news yet, we still negotiate match format issues but close to the end. I also asked Michelle if he agrees to use Fisher clocks with 30 seconds increment for each move. Match dates are June 25/26 - July 6/7 but can be a bit vary (plus-minus) 1 day.

Due to health problems Michelle asked me some time ago to have 2 break days and I accepted it. He is getting older and 1 extra break day may help him to stay healthy during match course.

Stay on for future news.

AN
Chexhero
What do you like about checkers?: It is a game of beauty when played at a high level.

Post by Chexhero »

30 seconds incriment each move would be interesting. Time should be much less of an issue, technically 24 moves per 72 minutes!