Call Me Bump

Introduce yourself to the other members of the forum. Tell us why you enjoy checkers and why you want to participate in the ACF forum.
Jay H

Call Me Bump

Post by Jay H »

Great Idea Jason !!!
I'll be the first to bite...
I am here on the ACForum because I get the chance to interact with others who recognize the great mental challenge that this game presents :!:
Although I am not a very good player, I respect those that are....and my main interest is in trying to preserve the legacy of the great players who have come before me in time...an impetus that manifests itself in my work (along with Liam Stephens and Ken Lovell) on the Online Museum Of Checkers History website.
This game , along with the great players of today and yesterday,holds a place within my heart.....an interest which will burn until my final day.
I am,
Very Respectfully,
Jay Hinnersh!tz
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
jaguar72
What do you like about checkers?: Its minimalist beauty and economy of force.

Re: Call Me Bump

Post by jaguar72 »

Great post, Jay.

Well said.

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
Jay H

Post by Jay H »

jaguar72 wrote:Great post, Jay.

Well said.

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
Thanx Gary....
There just are not that many people around who can appreciate this game and the ability, as some have, to manipulate these pieces.
The most simple, basic rules one could ever find within the structure of a game...and yet, master players and analysts, problem composers, etc., are capable of seeing and doing things that almost seem magical.
I look at the game as its own little universe with its own "laws of physics"......certain Checkerists seem to be able to do things that seem to defy these "laws of physics"....amazing what some are capable of.
This forum, when not being bogged down by political debate, is a source of that magic. Years ago, new twists and turns on published play, ancient problems, etc,even current events ,were very jealously guarded secrets of the Grandmaster players and the ruling bodies....here, we get expert analysis from many of the leading players, up to and including the current World Champ, Alex Moiseyev....and much up to date information as to the comings and goings of the current state of the organization of the game.
But, enough of my humble opinions.....
How about yourself, Gary...What brings you to the ACForum ?

Regards,

Jay H
jaguar72
What do you like about checkers?: Its minimalist beauty and economy of force.

Post by jaguar72 »

Jay H wrote:But, enough of my humble opinions.....
How about yourself, Gary...What brings you to the ACForum ?

Regards,

Jay H
Almost exactly the same reasons that you yourself stated in both your posts, Jay, except that you were able to articulate them much better than I could have done. Your approach to the game and mine are virtually identical.

Anything I could add would be superfluous.

It's always a pleasure,
V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
George Hay
What do you like about checkers?: Checkers is a game of pure logic.

Post by George Hay »

Hi Jay, first I am very impressed with http://www.online-museum-of-checkers-history.com/
I have learned a great deal about checkers there. I agree with your analysis of checkers.
While most of us play geometry checkers, the great players (Tinsley comes to mind) play
a kind of calculus checkers. --George
Jay H

Post by Jay H »

George Hay wrote:Hi Jay, first I am very impressed with http://www.online-museum-of-checkers-history.com/
I have learned a great deal about checkers there. I agree with your analysis of checkers.
While most of us play geometry checkers, the great players (Tinsley comes to mind) play
a kind of calculus checkers. --George

Greetings George Hay,
On behalf of myself, Liam Stephens (a fellow ACForumite) of Ireland, Ken Lovell of England, and all of the the rest of the persons listed on the OMOCH homepage contributors panel...thanx for visiting the OMOCH site, and thanx for the compliments.
The goal is to give some insight into the game's history to those who may be unaware of such.....it seems to be working.

Regards,

Jay H

PS
Like your analogy.........