Membership Rates

Discuss in an open and civilized format possible marketing and promotion ideas for Checkers or specifically the ACF
Eric Strange
What do you like about checkers?: What's not to like?

Re: Membership Rates

Post by Eric Strange »

I think that 75% or more current members would rather have electronic bulletins anyways. Save some money mailing out the hard copies and use it to benefit the ACF. This would also make hard copies more rare and collectible which could open another world in that area. The majority have access to a computer in one form or another. The other have family who can access a computer. Going paperless is a more economical solution for the organization.
Alex_Moiseyev
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

JohnAcker wrote:There seems to be the misconception that most ACF members don't have computers, but I think that number is very small.
Fifty-fifty ... at least to say. Many ACF members may have computers at home, but are unexperienced or never used them for ACF-related activities and must be trained.

Should I say that not all ACF members have regular email which they chek once a week ... or you don't trust me ? :lol:

After my kids leave to college, I also plan to reduce seriously my online activities. We all must be well prepared for DAY1 when Internet will be gone.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Eric Strange

Post by Eric Strange »

They don't need any kind of serious training. It is checking email!, if both of my grandparents can do it, anyone can do it. They don't regularly check email because there is nothing they are expecting in email. Very easy to check every few months when a new bulletin goes out. Could even have a website saved in favorites with the bulletin in PDN that people can download. If someone just really cannot figure out how to do it, I am sure they have someone who can get it for them. They could even ask to have a friend mail it to them at the cost of a few pieces of paper, very little printer ink, and a stamp.

The point is... it is time to move on with technology and stop wasting money on archaic forms of sharing information. I mean really, use the extra cash to do something productive. It is time to stop wasting what little resources the ACF has, and put it towards something productive.
Alex_Moiseyev
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Eric, personally I agree to pay $50 annual ACF membership due instead $40, but continue dealing with paper form. This maybe a solution.

I don't want ay extra work - printing, binding etc. I want to receive magazine, read it and secured it somewhere in my cabinet as one item, not collection of pages.

Grrr ... I am getting older and starting like comfortness :D
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Eric Strange

Post by Eric Strange »

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:Eric, personally I agree to pay $50 annual ACF membership due instead $40, but continue dealing with paper form. This maybe a solution.

I don't want ay extra work - printing, binding etc. I want to receive magazine, read it and secured it somewhere in my cabinet as one item, not collection of pages.

Grrr ... I am getting older and starting like comfortness :D
Oh, don't get me wrong Alex. I definitely understand that many players (capable of internet usage or not) would still like to receive the paper bulletin. I am not saying to 100% scratch the paper bulletin and start going electronic.

Make a standard ACF membership with electronic bulletin as a standard. Then allow people such as yourself to pay extra in order to get the paper bulletin.
vhabgood
What do you like about checkers?: Endgames, shots, problems, barred-openings, 11-man, and tournament results

Post by vhabgood »

I would like to receive electronic bulletins as well. Thanks!

-vic
steve

Post by steve »

I have received paper copies for the past 50 years and hope to received them until I forget Tregaskis man-down draw.
chipschap
What do you like about checkers?: Everything.

Post by chipschap »

US Chess Federation has an option, printed copy you pay extra, on-line copy membership is a little lower cost. Many people opt out of the printed copy. "Chess Life" has been a not so good publication for as long as I can remember (back to the 60s). ACF Bulletin is high quality.
tgf
What do you like about checkers?: I like sharing my checkers knowledge

Post by tgf »

I suggest to have all games and positions printed in the magazine be available on the site in the animated form, so one can read from the magazine (or a book) in his hand and be able not just view but quickly jump from one move to another, for example read Ginsberg's Principles of Strategy and observe the games on the screen. This will certainly enhance the experience, and you do not need to pick up pieces fallen down under the table! :)

By the way, the Israeli players went completely electronic with their monthly magazine. Those who want it can print the issues themselves. They've been maintaining high quality, color pictures, etc. for the last 9 years with no printing costs, just volunteer work.

Jake