Happy New Year

Introduce yourself to the other members of the forum. Tell us why you enjoy checkers and why you want to participate in the ACF forum.
George Hay
What do you like about checkers?: Checkers is a game of pure logic.

Happy New Year

Post by George Hay »

My name is George Hay and this is my first day as an ACF associate member. To register for the forum a question of why you like checkers is required. Here is my short answer:
Checkers is a mind sport that is fun to play. Checkers is excersise for the brain. Checkers is a game of no chance. Checkers is a game of simple logic that is easy to play and difficult to master. Checkers is the perfect game that ends in a draw with perfect play. GAYP Anglo-American Checkers is my favorite mind sport....Oh, good! The "copy and paste" worked.
I was born in 1955 and I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA. Happy New Year!
Danny_Alvarez
What do you like about checkers?: I enjoy learning more and more as i go. despite its alleged simplicity the game is incredibly complex and rewarding.

Re: Happy New Year

Post by Danny_Alvarez »

George welcome to the forum, I wish you the best of years for 2011 and I look forward to "seeing you" in the forum.

cheers
D. Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Palomino

Post by Palomino »

Wecome to the forum George, good way to start the new year.

Michigan is a part of the ACF 6th District along with Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. The 6th District Tournament is held each year near the end of August so get ready. I hope to meet you there in person. :)

..."Pal" Bucker
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
George Hay

Post by George Hay »

Danny_Alvarez wrote:George welcome to the forum, I wish you the best of years for 2011 and I look forward to "seeing you" in the forum.

cheers
D. Alvarez
Danny, thank you. I found an interesting book on Google Books, Durgin's Single Corner, publlished in Chicago in 1894. You may find it of interest on page 58 starts a section on Little's Single Corner where J. Little, Champion of Australasia, revised and extended W. Hay's 1838 book on Draughts. Mr. Little also had a column in the Australian Free Press. I do look forward to many other historic checkers book being posted on the internet. These books are great, historically and technically. --George
George Hay

Post by George Hay »

Palomino wrote:Wecome to the forum George, good way to start the new year.

Michigan is a part of the ACF 6th District along with Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. The 6th District Tournament is held each year near the end of August so get ready. I hope to meet you there in person. :)

..."Pal" Bucker
Pal, thank you...now I know what distict I'm in. We are in the same district as the author of Sixth. --George
Danny_Alvarez
What do you like about checkers?: I enjoy learning more and more as i go. despite its alleged simplicity the game is incredibly complex and rewarding.

Post by Danny_Alvarez »

Thanks for that bit of trivia George, i dont have a copy of that book but i will endeavour to find one. I love australian checkers trivia and im always trying to find more. Australia being a british colony has a rich and proud history and tradition of checkers, and considering the tiny size of our population and the distance that we are from everyone, we have had a number of different champions and notable mentions in the checker world. Sadly today there is no organization to speak of and no tournaments or clubs .... i am trying to set all this up but i have a few personal issues to take care of first. And at the moment im trying to survive Noah's second flood...

:) i hope you have a great day George.

Cheers, from the rain capital of the world (used to be the sunshine state)

D. Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Jay H

Post by Jay H »

Palomino wrote:Wecome to the forum George, good way to start the new year.

..."Pal" Bucker
+1

Pal.....you're next.
What brings you to the ACF Forum :?: :?:
Start a new topic here and post :D
Regards

Jay H
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Irma Sierra
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Post by Irma Sierra »

Very welcome Mr. George....
just lady.......
George Hay

Post by George Hay »

Hi Irma, I like your website http://fldafedlatinadamas.blogspot.com/ and I have the FLDA listed in my Favorites. --George Hay