2011 ACF Blitz and National Info

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.
kim willis

2011 ACF Blitz and National Info

Post by kim willis »

The 2011 ACF National GAYP Tournament will be held July 25th - 30th , 2011
As you all know we are going to have the 1st ever Blitz ty on the 25th which is Monday before nationals.
I would like to invite young and old to this first time event: We will be pre-registering on Sunday evening from 5pm to 7pm. Then monday morning before the meeting which will take place at 9am.

The 1st Annual ACF Blitz ty will be a 5min time control.

I hope to see everyone come either to play or to watch. See you all in Ohio :)

Kim
kim willis

Re: 2011 ACF Blitz and National Info

Post by kim willis »

hi John,

Yes, I will be pre-registering for the Nationals Monday evening after the Blitz tournament is finished. I hope to start around 5pm or 6pm till at least 8pm.
So that we can start early on tuesday morning around 8am till we have our business meeting. Then following pairings.

Kim
Alex_Moiseyev
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Kim, good luck with National ! Remember - Ohio is a swing State where everything possible :lol:
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Danny_Alvarez
What do you like about checkers?: I enjoy learning more and more as i go. despite its alleged simplicity the game is incredibly complex and rewarding.

Post by Danny_Alvarez »

i do not like to post overtly negative comments but this has to be said Kim...

5/0 is not blitz at all ... not that the internet youth will bother to turn anyway.... but
since we are going to call it blitz.... why not do a REAL blitz tourney???

cheers
Danny
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Danny_Alvarez wrote:i do not like to post overtly negative comments but this has to be said Kim...

5/0 is not blitz at all ... not that the internet youth will bother to turn anyway.... but
since we are going to call it blitz.... why not do a REAL blitz tourney???
Danny, 3-4-5 minutes is offical Blitz time control for FMJD events and it is called "Blitz". I really fon't know what you mean saying "REAL Blitz". :lol:

When I developed rules for National Blitz and submitted to ACF, I proposed ACF to use either 3 or 5 minutes per game to each opponent, and they picked 5 minutes, because for most participants it will be first time experience. Maybe next year ACF decide to use lesser time.

One of my option was: 5 minutes for 2 games.

And pleeeeease ... stop talking aout Internet, it has nothing to do with real games, either normal or Blitz.

Regards,

Alex
Danny_Alvarez
What do you like about checkers?: I enjoy learning more and more as i go. despite its alleged simplicity the game is incredibly complex and rewarding.

Post by Danny_Alvarez »

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:Danny, 3-4-5 minutes is offical Blitz time control for FMJD events and it is called "Blitz". I really fon't know what you mean saying "REAL Blitz". :lol:

When I developed rules for National Blitz and submitted to ACF, I proposed ACF to use either 3 or 5 minutes per game to each opponent, and they picked 5 minutes, because for most participants it will be first time experience. Maybe next year ACF decide to use lesser time.
One of my option was: 5 minutes for 2 games.
And pleeeeease ... stop talking aout Internet, it has nothing to do with real games, either normal or Blitz.

Regards,
Alex
Alex I agree that internet playing has nothing to do with real games... but you have to understand that we (not just me, but anyone that says something that you object to) have a right to express ourselves, no matter how wrong we may be in your opinion.
I have never attended or played an FMJD event (yet) but here in the Queensland chess association, Blitz games are either 3/0 or 3/2 ..... they have another setting that is even faster called Bullet Chess and that is 2/1 ....
I personally believe that 5/0 is too slow.... just my opinion ... and in its subjectivity and because of its nature, (opinions aren't right or wrong) i am right, just as you are right to think that 5/0 is perfectly fine.
cheers
Danny Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
tommyc

Post by tommyc »

Good man Danny well said.................MOISEYEV IS JUST A HUNKER-SLIDER!!
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
Michael Holmes

Post by Michael Holmes »

The hotel has told me that the meeting is at 8am Monday morning.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Good luck everyone tomorrow and best should win !
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Well done ! Congratulations to Suki for excellent victory. Alex Holmes did exceptionally well finishing above two players and getting title of USA National Youth Blitz Champion. John Webster, Jack Francis and Joe Schwartz just proved again their oustanding Master level (Jack actually listed as Grandmaster on WCDF list).

It is pity that none of young guns from Kurnik attended this event. I understand - It's not easy to play with real clocks. I hope Eric, Chee, Fredo, Nick, Joe and other (whoever) do well in main event.

Alex
tommyc

Post by tommyc »

Dont tell me NONE of the young guns made it to the Blitz...............shock horror,if thats the case then i guess that sums up the whole cabuzzel!!.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

tommyc wrote:Dont tell me NONE of the young guns made it to the Blitz
This is result of International efforts and conspiracy. When I tried to encourage ACF to pay and share expanses for some of those players, my initiave was blocked by several people on this forum who didn't want to spend any ACF penny.

They spoke and argued very pathetically and worried about ACF membership money and were successful: none penny was spent and noone showup. Their fight was successful.

All these fellows must be very proud of this.

Regardes,

Alex
waynegober

Post by waynegober »

Alex said,
They spoke and argued very pathetically and worried about ACF membership money and were successful: none penny was spent and noone showup. Their fight was successful.

All these fellows must be very proud of this.
I wasn't part of the blockade of ACF money, but I am proud of those who put forth the effort.
These young men need to spend about half the time they are on the internet and use it to pick up cans or something. They could easily pay their own way to any tournament they desired then. They could also possibly learn something about good manners in the process.

I came from a very poor background and have been paying my own way since I was 12, so cry me a river.

Wayne Gober
who once thought "Dream Young" was a good idea.
jaguar72
What do you like about checkers?: Its minimalist beauty and economy of force.

Post by jaguar72 »

waynegober wrote:I wasn't part of the blockade of ACF money, but I am proud of those who put forth the effort.
These young men need to spend about half the time they are on the internet and use it to pick up cans or something. They could easily pay their own way to any tournament they desired then. They could also possibly learn something about good manners in the process.

I came from a very poor background and have been paying my own way since I was 12, so cry me a river.

Wayne Gober
who once thought "Dream Young" was a good idea.
Well said, Wayne. Exactly so. Every bit of it.

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/Jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
Irma Sierra

Post by Irma Sierra »

Yes Gober, well said! Saving is how we get to go to a real tournament, and i know they will now come to say something ugly, who cares???? they want all chopped and in the mouth
just lady.......