Hotel Rooms for Nationals

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.
Chexhero
What do you like about checkers?: It is a game of beauty when played at a high level.

Re: Hotel Rooms for Nationals

Post by Chexhero »

Just to clarify, is this money going to be taken from members' pockets or the prize fund? Frankly, I believe that the ACF should be fully funding the NATIONAL ACF TOURNAMENT. We pay memberships to be able to play in these tournaments and some of us are already paying $100 entry fee. Not to mention the cost of staying there which is around $600 plus travel expenses. This tournament is already costing many people close to $1000 so it seems unfair to ask for an extra $100+ for the ACF National Tournament which the ACF is unwilling to fund.
Chexhero
What do you like about checkers?: It is a game of beauty when played at a high level.

Post by Chexhero »

John, on the financial report that you sent out, it said we had close to 500,000 dollars. How is 1,500 going to bankrupt the ACF? This is the national tournament we are talking about and it should be taking more seriously. Punishing loyal members is unfair and this certainly won't attract new players.
Chexhero

Post by Chexhero »

JohnAcker wrote: I stated from the outset that we would need to guarantee the winning hotel a certain amount of business to make the deal possible
But you did not specifically state how much business we needed to guarantee. Just to point out, the last GAYP National tournament only had 23 players and I think a 30 player minimum for this one may have been a little to ambitious. Of course, I hope it wasn't and pays off! But, It seems over the years that Ohio normally does not draw a very big crowd so I obviously have my doubts. You also never said that members attending may have to fork over an extra $100+ to compensate for the deal that was made. If you stated this information I probably would have objected then and I think others would have too. I also find it hard to believe that there is enough "touchable" money to fund the referee and honoree rooms but not the actual playing room. While I agree it is important to recognize and support those who contribute and have contributed to the ACF, we need to make sure that our priority is the promotion of checkers.
Chexhero

Post by Chexhero »

I still feel that you should have been more transparent with this deal. You only mention it in the link describing the various bids which not everyone would have read. You also never stated the consequence of not meeting the room minimum. You certainly didn't state that the players would have to pay the difference. My loyalty as an ACF officer is to the members and I feel that they were not informed properly and are being treated unfairly. I give a lot of time and effort to the ACF without any benefit. I will always support the ACF, I just feel that the ACF should be supporting its loyal members. There should be "touchable" money for a playing room for the loyal members.
Michael Holmes

Post by Michael Holmes »

So who decided that this was the hotel that was going to be used? I could have been one (but hope I wasnt!) who voted for it and other officers but I can honestly say I dont remember reading those details. I dont remember seeing Jim's bid either. Did he have one? All the players I talked to this weekend are very upset about this fee, this location, and seemingly non-negotiable arrangements made on their behalf.

It doesnt sound like this bid is anything close to what Jim or Frank was proposing. I dont know if they submitted a bid but I do know that Jim talked to John. Who said what and who denied who I dont know.

Ron King is yet to face another disappointment this year with a smaller prize fund. Unless you take it from the minors and majors.

I can honestly say that I think John Acker acted in good faith. I can assure you that he has good intentions and does many things with the intentions on increasing our fund prize, our participation in tournaments, and our overall professionalism. And, everything could turn out good if enough hotel reservations happen.

If it doesnt turn out good (meaning additional costs), then that type of venue should never be considered again. I mean never ever.

Michael
Last edited by Michael Holmes on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Palomino

Post by Palomino »

Michael wrote:
I can honestly say that I think John Acker acted in good faith. I can assure you that he has good intentions...
Michael, I'm in total agreement with your above statement!

John did an outstanding job of detailing the venue options available to the membership as far as dates and hotel availabilities. John asked the membership for their feedback (as least those who read the forum) and gave them every opportunity to respond with their own ideas.

John took a poll here on the forum, asking for input as to what dates best suited the membership and he only received 4 responses to it.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3139

John put a tremendous amount of time into preparing a "Venue Options for the 2013 ACF National Checkers Tournament" document and posted its link here on the forum for everyone to read.
http://acfnationals.com/2013report.pdf

Quoting from this report, John wrote:
"The purpose of this report is to share my findings, and to give you the information you need to give informed feedback about our options this year." "... this is the American Checker Federation, and each of you has a voice in this important decision."
I commend John for the fine job he has done and if there is any failure to meet the commitments made it is the membership who is a fault not John.

If 30 rooms aren't reserved by the July 14th deadline maybe the cost of the playing room could be saved by everyone putting their bathing suit on and playing at the tables around the indoor pool?

CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Alex_Moiseyev
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

I can't promise much now, but it is very possible that I can visit GAYP National 2013 on the last day on Saturday. It is only 2 hrs driving from my house and it will be interesting to see the fight on the last day and participate in Closing Ceremony. Good luck to all players.

AM
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

JohnAcker wrote:at the Hilton for no more than $35/night.
3 people in the room. Maybe one on the floor.
Michael Holmes

Post by Michael Holmes »

John,
This is twice you have not responded well to constructive criticism. I am disappointed. Everytime we have met you have been very pleasant to be around. I know you are extemely smart, and as I said, I know you have the best of intentions. I dont appreciate your sarcasm. Anyway, in the best interest of the ACF, we should have a good working relations and to avoid further conflicts I just will not give my two cents here on the forum.
Michael
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Hey-hey-hey, guys ... take it easy. Michael knows very well what does it mean to promote and organize event and John also is not newcomer in this business. We are not living in perfect world with corporate angels around :roll: Our bidding process usually include from 0 to 1 offers - it goes for years. I can't remember when we had in the past decade 2 serious respectable bids on table. Usually one bid becomes as result of significant personal work of some ACF member.

But I also agree with Michael that this is not most efficient procedure and can be improve a bit.
Eric Strange
What do you like about checkers?: What's not to like?

Post by Eric Strange »

I didn't get a chance to completely read the book John put together on each of the possible venues so I did not voice my opinion and therefore do not have any room to complain now. I will state my opinion and also suggest future alternatives.

I do think that expecting 30 rooms to get booked for a GAYP National in Ohio was very ambitious and I think the bottom line facts should have been more thrown in everyones face when first proposed.

I think that punishing the players who do show up by taking money out of the prize purse is completely wrong. Especially when execs who are assisting with running the tournament are getting their rooms paid for by the ACF.

My suggestion:

I have been to a few different tournaments now and the discounted room rates never seem to actually be discounted (I sometimes get cheaper rates at hotels close by or from the same hotel by booking through a discount website).

We promise all this stuff to the hotel to get the privledge of using their playing room. Why not look at alternatives to hotel playing rooms. I know some tournaments use restaurants and things like that which is a great idea, but I am sure those are difficult to find with a big banquet area.

What other types of locations have large areas that can be used as playing areas???? Lets come up with a better process.

In 2009 I hosted a tournament and was able to get a nice big quiet room for free, with absolutely no obligation to them. I went to the local library and they were happy to let us play there for the entire weekend. They even advertised for us on the days of the tournament.

^^^ That is one good idea for future tournaments :)
Danny_Alvarez
What do you like about checkers?: I enjoy learning more and more as i go. despite its alleged simplicity the game is incredibly complex and rewarding.

Post by Danny_Alvarez »

Eric here in Oz when i was holding weekly meetings for my playing group we held them in the public library... they booked the biggest room for us and they even held an exhibition on checker books for a week (in our honour) the people were helpful and efficient, they helped some of my guys get library cards even though they lived in a different city council and they lent them checker books.
i personally cannot speak highly enough of library stuff and their facilities.
i agree that it is a good idea for future tournaments.
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Eric Strange

Post by Eric Strange »

I agree that most libraries would not be a good choice for a venue like nationals, unless it was a main branch that was very large.

I think restaurants would be a good option also. Many tournament players bring family with them who would contribute to paying customers for the restaurant. Many restaurants serve alcohol also, which would be nice during a tournament. Of course for an event such as nationals we would want the restaurant to be decent sized and nice. This would also motivate players to dress more professionally and bring a good image to our game. Any decent restaurant is usually going to have a nice banquet room with tables and chairs already in place. I would at least look into this option for next year.
Eric Strange

Post by Eric Strange »

Posted twice by accident
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

When I come to Cincinnati on August3, Saturday, last day of event, I plan to donate $20 directly to winner of event ... whoever it will be. Prize will not be divided if players tie for 1st place. It will be giving to player who has better honor points.

Alex