2014 Missouri State Gayp Open

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.
JR Smith

Post by JR Smith »

Saturday, June 21st 2014

Ozark Valley Inn, 2693 Shepherd of the Hills Expressway, Branson, MO 65616 (map)
More Information at: http://www.nccheckers.org/NCCA/2014%20MO%20GAYP.htm

THE MISSOURI STATE (GAYP) GO-AS-YOU-PLEASE TOURNAMENT will be held Saturday, June 21st 2014 at the Ozark Valley Inn, 2693 Shepherd of the Hills Expressway, Branson, MO 65616 (phone: 417-336-4666 or 1-800-947-4666). The cost will be $59.95 per night if we have fewer than 10 rooms. If we have ten or more rooms, the rate will be $45.00 per night. Ask for Sharon when making your reservation and be sure to tell her you are with the Checker Tournament. The prize fund for this tournament will be $4,000. Thanks to Joe and Jeannie McDaniel of Tulsa, Oklahoma and David Seres of Newport Beach, California for donating this prize fund and sponsoring this tournament. Plan to make this a family vacation. There is so much to see and do in Branson -- all kinds of music shows, the Titanic Museum, Silver Dollar City, and lots of other attractions. You don’t want to miss this one! Entry fee $10.00. There will be one class only. Registration starts at 8:00; play will start at 8:30 a.m. For more information contact George Stallsworth, (816-689-2859) or email: dstallsworth@stjoelive.com Read Joe McDaniel's 2014 Invitation Letter:Image
More Information at: http://www.nccheckers.org/NCCA/2014%20MO%20GAYP.htm
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
Alex_Moiseyev
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Re: 2014 Missouri State Gayp Open

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Today I received an email from Joe McDaniel with list of prices and people who already registered and/or intended to come. I already registered (today) on my own and highly recommend all of you who wants to be there - do it now. It looks like this hotel is booked almost 100% for couple nights !

FUN FOR EVERYONE.

===========================================================================================================

Have added some more to the prize fund. It is now 11 places instead of 8 as follows:

$1200

Plus $200 for the top three Missouri finishers.

This is a total of $4350. Will probably increase some more by tourney time.

==========================================================================================

Here is the list of players registered with the motel as of, June 4:

Joe McDaniel
George Stallsworth
J. R. Smith
Al Tucker, Minden LA
Jerry Childers, Tuckerman AR
Bill Wethington, High Ridge MO
John Webster, Stoneville NC
Carmello Adamo, Philadelphia PA
Hugh Hawkins, Howe TX
Billy Perry, Brownsville, TN
James Boeck don't know?
Durwood Fogle, Rock Island IL
Howard Gain, Panama City, FL
Alex Moiseyev, Dublin, OH

Also, others who say they are coming are:

Zeke of Silver Dollar City
John Post, Russellville AR
Wayne Gober, Shawnee OK
Lynn Steelman, Crandall, GA

That is 18 players and I expect we will have several more.
================================================================================================================

Personally, I am very glad to see Jerry Childer on this list. It looks like he moved from IL to AR some years ago (?) and I missed him.

I just spoke with Joe on phone for several minutes and he said that they plan to have in one day 6 GAYP Swiss rounds, 2 games per round - 12 games in total ... this is awesome !!! I never drove 12 hours one way for 1 day tournament ... something new and fresh for me.
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
alexholmes
What do you like about checkers?: its a very good mind game

Post by alexholmes »

It does look like Jim Morrison, Charles Freeman(still a maybe), and I will be going to this tournament. I am pleased with the way I have been playing lately in my last two tournaments, even though GAYP is definitely not my strong suit. My dad will not be able to come due to his work issues. Hey Alex maybe I wont miss a win this time :D just messing around

Can Wait to see everybody there,
Alex Holmes
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

During Strawberry Fest Larry Keen also mentioned his intention to attend.

Look, we are talking many decades and thousand times - what makes difference, increase attendance and membership ? Looking at potential MO GAYP State Open overturn, I think answer is quite obvious - money make difference.
alexholmes wrote:Hey Alex maybe I wont miss a win this time :D
Hopefully maybe I won't get into loss this time :D
JR Smith

Post by JR Smith »

Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Getting close. I am leaving to Branson earlier tomorrow morning and on my way picking in St. Louis Brian Hinkle. John Acker (former ACF Treasure and future ACF President) passed with me to Tournament Director Alzheimer Association poster. It's gonna be fun for everyone !!!

I also plan to test my new used Toyotta Corolla, 2011 which I brought recently. Plates still the same - ALEMO :D

Hey, they raised in 1-day Tourney 10 times more money than ACF for National :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: My applauds to all sponsors and organizers who made this miracle happen. See all you there late tomorrow and at tournament on Saturday.

Respectfully,

AM
JR Smith

Post by JR Smith »

JR Smith

Post by JR Smith »

Results on NCCA site but money isn't exact... http://www.nccheckers.org/NCCA/2014%20M ... esults.htm

Congratulations! To IM John Webster from Stoneville, NC as a Co-Champion winner of the 2014 Missouri State GAYP Open Checker Tournament.

Congratulations! To GM Jim Morrison from Glasgow, KY as a Co-Champion winner of the 2014 Missouri State GAYP Open Checker Tournament. They split 1st and 2nd place cash prize money and received a trophy plaque, presented at the closing ceremony by tournament director, George Stallsworth and tournament sponsor, Joe McDaniel. Although Jim and John were tied on game and honor points Jim won a game off John in their match round.

Congratulations! To Brian Hinkle from O'Fallon, MO as the 2014 Missouri State GAYP Champion. Brian also joined the Missouri Checker Association.
Last edited by JR Smith on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chexhero
What do you like about checkers?: It is a game of beauty when played at a high level.

Post by Chexhero »

Congratulations to Jim and John! Well earned victory. Since I have been an ACF member for the last 3 plus years, I can't recall a tournament reported (not including WTM) where Alex M did not finish first place. That is darn impressive. I also like to congratulate a good friend of mine, Clayton Nash for tying Alex M for 3rd, only being defeated by a couple of honor points. It is great to see Clayton being back out at the tournaments and playing some great checkers. Also overall, a congrats to those who planned this tournament and making it a huge turn around over the last few years. Yes, all tournament organizers, including myself should definitely take some lessons from this. I am already in the process of saving up prize fund money for next years PA. Well done all.
jeff webster
What do you like about checkers?: a great game

Post by jeff webster »

Congrats to all and especially my uncle John! It couldn't happen to a nicer guy !