more vids about checkers on youtube

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.
champion374
What do you like about checkers?: game of thinging

more vids about checkers on youtube

Post by champion374 »

i see there is something call play along on youtube would like to see more vids on youtube with checkers .

here is one with chess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMe-hvCwTRo

they are 100s of vid of
Garry Kasparov on youtube. who really knows about sergio scarpetta?
Kent ,,Ace,, Layne checker player from Barbados
George Hay
What do you like about checkers?: Checkers is a game of pure logic.

Re: more vids about checkers on youtube

Post by George Hay »

In this YouTube video Mr. Checkercyle shows game one, Sergio Scarpetta vs Ron King GAYP WCM 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5FGNgzU4dM
rich beckwith

Post by rich beckwith »

I recorded some videos last December at the SportAccord World Mind Games (Beijing), including Borghetti-Scarpetta playoff games. See also awards ceremony for checkers, and a brief "Checkers on Great Wall" clip featuring two well-known American checker personalities. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQkyxt ... esLi3sTnMw
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
champion374
What do you like about checkers?: game of thinging

Post by champion374 »

nice keep them coming. may be a story on some of the players like it is done in chess
Kent ,,Ace,, Layne checker player from Barbados
George Hay

Post by George Hay »

Mr. Checkercyle has picked an incredible game and explains it in dramatic fashion. It is Walter Hellman vs Marion Tinsley at the 1956 U.S. Nationals.
Marion Tinsley had won the 1954 U.S. Nationals, and then challenged World Champion Walter Hellman for the (3-Move) World Championship.
Tinsley had defeated Champion Hellmen in the 1955 WCM to become World Champion. In the 1956 U.S. National Championship,
Tinsley won the Masters Division by beating Hellman in the final. The game Mr. Checkercyle shows is a very competitive draw !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ihZwZe_hA
jaguar72
What do you like about checkers?: Its minimalist beauty and economy of force.

Post by jaguar72 »

These are excellent videos, George. Exactly what is needed to promote the game to the general public in a very civilized manner. I think they give, in a rather laid back and very attractive format, a dramatic idea of the excitement, complexity and serenity (yes, serenity...) of the game. I hope there are thousands of viewers.

I haven't looked at all of the videos yet, but I hope Mr. Checkercycle has presented some problems and solutions as well. Some of the problems, more than anything else, can illustrative the beauty and strange intricacy of the game (that is, of course, only my opinion and it's very subjective, but that's the effect checkers problems have on me...).

Anyhow, just seeing these videos and knowing that someone is actually promoting the game in this fashion gives me hope for a checkers future.

By the way, he uses a very attractive checker set as well. I think, perhaps, the board came from the House of Staunton.

Regards,
Jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
George Hay

Post by George Hay »

Hi Gary, the Greenwood Checkerboard with two inch squares is very impressive! The Checkercyle "play along" videos have many problems, although I don't know how many have duel solutions! :) Perhaps they are positions more than problems! Many videos I have not seen yet. I tend to study them over and over again so I don't end up making the same mistakes over and over again (ha ha ha). Some of the YouTube Checkercyle videos have the games of Tom Wiswell. This link is to Game 16 of the 1951 GAYP WCM. It is a Single Corner opening, Wiswell vs Hopper, and ends in a draw. The "play along" video has a slight transposition from the text of Checker Kings In Action, page 78. In the video it goes 12. 8-11, 26-22; 13. 16-20, 24-19. In the text it goes 12. 16-20, 26-22; 13. 8-11, 24-19. As you know, challenger Wiswell beat Champion Hopper, and Wiswell went on to be the long time GAYP World Champion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkCwXJUhhZk

Checker Kings In Action must have been the most published mind sports match book until Fischer vs Spassky 1972.

--George Hay