Ratings Formula Change

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.
clintolsen
Site Admin
What do you like about checkers?: Winning

Ratings Formula Change

Post by clintolsen »

We made a slight change to the ratings formula that I wanted to make public. In the past, if your opponent was in the provisional status at the start of the tournament, games played against that opponent would not affect your rating. We've updated this so that if both players are in the provisional status at the start of the tournament, both players ratings will be updated as if the players were not provisional. Without this change, tournaments like the recent Uganda tournament would result in no rating updates for any players, as all players were new.
Alex_Moiseyev
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Re: Ratings Formula Change

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Clint, this adjustment makes perfect sense to me.

Just saw rating update after my recent 11-man ballot World Title match with Michael Holmes. My rating now is 2303, little bit above 2300. It seems like it took 6 years for me to come back to 2300+ Last time I was there on February 16, 2013 with rating 2305 … after free fall from 2600 which started in 2009.

Just wondering - when I'll be back to 2600 again ? :D

AM
I am playing checkers, not chess.
chipschap
What do you like about checkers?: Everything.

Post by chipschap »

It seems like the rating pool is quite small, the number of events quite small (compared with chess for instance) and so gaining points at a high level would be a difficult task.

I don't think that Alex's 2303 rating compared to previous 2600 means he is no longer as strong a player. He is probably even stronger now but ratings don't (and maybe can't) accurately reflect it. I think other strong players have come along and cannibalized (so to speak) the ratings. It would be interesting to see if overall ratings have been declining with time.
Chexhero
What do you like about checkers?: It is a game of beauty when played at a high level.

Post by Chexhero »

Just wondering - when I'll be back to 2600 again ?

AM
How you going to get to 2600 when have a hard enough time beating Chee and I online?

Smaller pool of players is one aspect of it, but another is a different ratings formula that was implemented since the ratings under the old system stopped in 2008. 2200 is the minimum rating to reach in order to qualify for GM norm. The only players to really reach this rating without prior rating inflation from old system are players like Alex, Ron, Kondlo, Sergio, Borghetti, etc. I would say 2300 is a high GM ranking, similar to a 2500 to 2600 rating under old system.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Chexhero wrote: How you going to get to 2600 when have a hard enough time beating Chee and I online
I remember that one time Brazil National team football coach said in interview: "Our opponents get as much points as they can, and we get as much points as we want!" :D :D :D
champion374
What do you like about checkers?: game of thinging

Post by champion374 »

Clint I know you must say I ask this question all the time but any hope of the Wcdf ratings been updated as well?
Kent ,,Ace,, Layne checker player from Barbados
Frank Moran
What do you like about checkers?: Competing and general information about leading players

Post by Frank Moran »

Ratings system is against active players. Easiest way to get high rating is to play in strong field get a few good results and cease playing in lesser events
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Frank Moran wrote:Ratings system is against active players.
I am one who played more games than anyone else. Of, course if I play all my games with Sergio only, my rating could be slightly better :) However I am OK with what we have now. Big number of my games proves that my rating is real and closely matching my strength.
champion374

Post by champion374 »

Hi Clint i see a mistake in the ratings you have Wilfred fedricks of Barbados twice.

The one that is rated in the 100s i dont think thats the right one.You can look over it.
champion374

Post by champion374 »

Hi clint what is the latest updates on the rating list?