Chess and Checker Club of New York

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.
Richard Pask
What do you like about checkers?: Much!

Chess and Checker Club of New York

Post by Richard Pask »

Is there anyone alive who used to play in this club during its heyday?

If so, I have 3 questions: first, what was the typical ratio of chess to checker players? Secondly, how did the two groups get along? That is, we read a lot of silly comments about the superiority of chess to checkers, but in this club many strong players from both disciplines were actually playing alongside each other, so it would be easy to put things to the test! Finally, did Bobby Fischer ever frequent the club! - I know it wasn't his preferred haunt.
jaguar72
What do you like about checkers?: Its minimalist beauty and economy of force.

Re: Chess and Checker Club of New York

Post by jaguar72 »

Mr. Pask,

Reference your question "did Bobby Fischer ever frequent the club!" (i.e, The New York Chess and Checker Club): Chess GM Andrew Soltis in his excellent book Bobby Fischer Rediscovered (2003), has this to say in his superb (and quite brief) introduction:

"I witnessed Fischer in action several more time over the next few years. For example:
--When he would show up, usually late at night, at the Manhattan Chess Club, or at the
Times Square dive called the New York Chess and Checker Club -- but known among games
players as 'The Fleahouse' --. Fischer would give outrageous time odds in blitz games to
masters. Or just chat about chess. When that was the subject he was always just Bobby."

GM Soltis is a gifted writer and player and his analysis of Fischer's games is world class (and very entertaining). Bobby Fischer Rediscovered Is a chess book that belongs in the library of every chess and checker (and go, for that matter) player. It's that good.

Hope this helps a little bit. I have read some other information on the "Fleahouse" but would have to spend some time looking for it.

Jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
Bill Salot

Re: Chess and Checker Club of New York

Post by Bill Salot »

The Chess and Checker Club of New York has been a magnet to players of both games, even when they were just visitors from far away places. I visited several times and once bumped into Maurice Chamblee there when neither one of us lived within a thousand miles of New York City.

Ed Atkinson wrote me that in 1964, he played both chess and checkers there where he met Wiswell, Ricca, Krantz, Paul and Norman Wexler.

I believe most longtime players of either game have stories to tell about past visits.