$25 Prize Problem

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.
chipschap
What do you like about checkers?: Everything.

$25 Prize Problem

Post by chipschap »

In case you missed it or haven't seen it yet ... Brian Hinkle asks that I remind you of his $25 Prize problem in last week's Checker Maven (checkermaven.com).

As you would expect from Brian it's a fine problem and not an easy one. The first one to send Brian the correct solution will win the $25 prize. Questions should be directed to Brian. See the website for details.

And here's the cereal box disclaimer; "Void where prohibited by law."
Chexhero
What do you like about checkers?: It is a game of beauty when played at a high level.

Re: $25 Prize Problem

Post by Chexhero »

Not sure this is a good idea. Anyone could just easily figure it out with a program in a matter of seconds. In any case, I will take a stab at it.
chipschap
What do you like about checkers?: Everything.

Post by chipschap »

Brian's offer stands. Address any questions to him.
fierz
What do you like about checkers?: Programming checkers!

Post by fierz »

Chexhero wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:22 pm Not sure this is a good idea. Anyone could just easily figure it out with a program in a matter of seconds. In any case, I will take a stab at it.
1.5 days of computation with Cake 1.89e with full 8pc database gives +4 with no convincing line. Looks like this is a nice problem to confuse the programs :-)
Alex_Moiseyev
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Brian asked me today to post here information, that price for solving this puzzle is raised up to $50.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

Yesterday Brian asked me to post that he is raising prices up to $75 for the first person who can solve this problem

ALM
ZoeZap
What do you like about checkers?: I like the history of checkers and I enjoy the application of computers to the game. See ZoeZap.com for my program, "CheckerPlayer".

Post by ZoeZap »

I'm not very good at playing checkers, so most puzzles are well beyond me. But since the problem doesn't seem to be amenable to computer analysis, I suspect a puzzle within a puzzle.

The phrase "Void where prohibited by law"... is there a double meaning there? Such as... is there a piece which could not possibly have reached the square it's on through the normal laws of checkers, and therefore should be "voided"?

Maybe a bit of retrograde analysis would help. What was Black's previous move and so on.

Steve.
Alex_Moiseyev

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

You can use program if you want, no restrictions.