Meet wvani

Introduce yourself to the other members of the forum. Tell us why you enjoy checkers and why you want to participate in the ACF forum.
wvani
What do you like about checkers?: It is character building and has assisted me to be patient in dealing with any situation.

Meet wvani

Post by wvani »

I am a 47 year old checker player from Port Elizabeth in South Africa. Unfortunately for us in SA we never had an opportunity to showcase our talent to the world due to the previous political situation. We have had great players like Monde Ngesi, who unfortunately passed away without ever playing in the world stage. The currently view in our region(Kondlo agree with this view) is that this great player would have easily been crowned the world champion if he had the opportunity.

At the moment we are reviving the game in our region and in November 2010 we had a very successful tournament. Lubabalo Kondlo was one of the participants. Would like to emphasize the fact that we have quite a few players of the same calibre as Kondlo.

For me personally this forum will be a window to the world. Whatever feedback i get will be relayed back to my club mates because they do not have access to a computer.

Thanks for this opportunity to be accept in this forum. Appreciate it very much.
Jay H

Re: About this forum

Post by Jay H »

wvani wrote:I am a 47 year old checker player from Port Elizabeth in South Africa. Unfortunately for us in SA we never had an opportunity to showcase our talent to the world due to the previous political situation. We have had great players like Monde Ngesi, who unfortunately passed away without ever playing in the world stage. The currently view in our region(Kondlo agree with this view) is that this great player would have easily been crowned the world champion if he had the opportunity.

At the moment we are reviving the game in our region and in November 2010 we had a very successful tournament. Lubabalo Kondlo was one of the participants. Would like to emphasize the fact that we have quite a few players of the same calibre as Kondlo.

For me personally this forum will be a window to the world. Whatever feedback i get will be relayed back to my club mates because they do not have access to a computer.

Thanks for this opportunity to be accept in this forum. Appreciate it very much.

Jason,
Perhaps you should move this post into the general field of the "Introductions" board...and wvani, welcome to the ACForum. Great to read that things are taking place SA.

Regards

Jay H
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
George Hay
What do you like about checkers?: Checkers is a game of pure logic.

Re: Meet wvani

Post by George Hay »

Hi wvani, welcome to the ACF Forum. What kind of tournaments are popular in South Africa,
GAYP or 3-move? --George Hay
Danny_Alvarez
What do you like about checkers?: I enjoy learning more and more as i go. despite its alleged simplicity the game is incredibly complex and rewarding.

Post by Danny_Alvarez »

Hi Wvani great to have you in the forum. I am also interested in knowing how are things in South Africa. How many players, how many clubs. how is checkers doing down there.

Best Regards from Queensland Australia

Danny Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
tommyc

Post by tommyc »

Hi wVANI................so yu know Kondlo,hes a good guy i met him in America Las Vegas.Its good to know there is others of Kondlos standard in S.A..Kondlo himself said that when i met him.Give him my best regards and good luck to you too ,keep playing and dont let apartheid stop your dreams!!

Tommy Canning Ireland.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
Danny_Alvarez
What do you like about checkers?: I enjoy learning more and more as i go. despite its alleged simplicity the game is incredibly complex and rewarding.

Post by Danny_Alvarez »

Tommy, I am really intrigued by this, how many more players of Mr Kondlo's ability are there in South Africa?
How many players do they have in total? are they organized in any way? I understand their financial difficulties
but can't we do more to reach out to them?

cheers
Danny
tommyc

Post by tommyc »

You might want to look at some of my back posts Danny,[Irish Open 2010]before you discovered the Forum?.That will explain a good few things,but to my knowlege there are acccording to Kondlo perhaps 3-4-5 other players to his standard.but as wvani says they might never see the light of day such is the controlling nature of draughts in S.A.due to apartheid and white control.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
john reade

Post by john reade »

There is also Sacks Mwaaza from Zambia.
Alex_Moiseyev
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Post by Alex_Moiseyev »

There are couple goood players in Ireland.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Danny_Alvarez

Post by Danny_Alvarez »

I would feel it is a great triumph if i could find a couple of good players here in Oz.

So far i found only a few teenagers and a couple of them might be progs lol
cheers
Danny