3-move US Youth National in Louisville, KY

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.
Michael Holmes

3-move US Youth National in Louisville, KY

Post by Michael Holmes »

Nativity Academy at St Boniface in Louisville, Kentucky held their second Youth National Checker Tournament, January 28, 2016. This year the tournament had 100 preregistered students! All of the school’s 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th graders competed except for a few absences, along with a handful of other youth, including a 3rd grader. These children displayed sportsmanship, excitement, and they had plenty of fun. Each child was given a $5.00 gift card, a checkerboard set, and was offered a book or bulletin. Dr. Harbolt, the Extended Day and Year Director for the school, also provided gifts from a local company. Trophies for each section were provided.

This was a winner take all tournament. One game was played and only winners advanced. The children loved being spectators when they were not playing in their own match. The final and 3rd round was moved from the busy gymnasium into a quiet room where competitors could more easily concentrate. Erin McCallion-Holmes was there to take photos and there were great checker players from all over to help. Arthur Mays, current Kentucky Champion, Chuck Freeman, former Northern Ireland winner and multiple state champion, Jim Morrison, three-time National champion and multiple state champion, and Alan Millhone, the American Checker Federation President were all there to referee.

First place winners received $25.00 and a trophy, in addition to the checkerboard sets and books. The 8th grade winner is Katie Morrison from Barren County School. 7th grade winner is Richard Chandler from Nativity Academy. 6th grade winner is a 3-way tie. 6th grade winners are Varlee Kamara, Mohammed Fahnbulleh, and Kelden Abernathy. 5th grade winners are Tyran Gray, Damarco O'Bannon, Jabari Alexander, and Radhiya Cobble.

I will post more information later.
Irma Sierra
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Re: 3-move US Youth National in Louisville, KY

Post by Irma Sierra »

Very nice! waiting the pictures......and thanks for sharing!
just lady.......
Palomino

Post by Palomino »

Yes, I would like to see the pictures also. ACF members sharing their knowledge with these youth is wonderful. Great job guys!
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
JR Smith

Post by JR Smith »

Last edited by JR Smith on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
neilwenberg

Post by neilwenberg »

Good Job!! Congratulations to Michael Holmes and crew for junior checker promotion!!!
Neil H. Wenberg
Michael Holmes

Post by Michael Holmes »

Hi everyone. Can i have some of you help raise funds for next year.
Irma Sierra
What do you like about checkers?: .....

Post by Irma Sierra »

Nice pictures! thank you!
just lady.......